Aspergers Treatment: Do You Know What to Do or What Guidelines To Follow?
Interest in Toys Predicts Effectiveness of Autism/Aspergers Treatment in Toddlers
From ScienceDaily.com – Identifying Toddlers At Risk For Autism There is an autism treatment – called Hanen’s More Than Words for kids younger than 2 years of age who show early signs of an autism spectrum disorder. Basically, if it’s caught early on and treated then the symptoms of Autism can be lessened.
The idea is for the parent to work with the youngster during playtime. During a time when focus is greatest, supposedly. “One out of every 110 children has autism spectrum disorders” according to Sciencedaily.com. Some kids develop autistic disorder while others have Asperger’s syndrome and pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified.
Says Karen Pierce, PhD, an assistant professor in the UCSD Department of Neurosciences and assistant director of the UCSD Autism Center of Excellence, “In testing 110 toddlers ages 14 to 42 months, we found that all of the toddlers who spent more than 69 percent of their time fixing their gaze on geometric images could be accurately classified as having an
autism spectrum disorder
When Do Parents Detect Something?
Many parents notice a difference in their infant or toddler at about 18 months. Typically, the autistic toddler uses fewer gestures and does not emotionally connect/communicate as readily.
New Study Provides Motivation For Parents to Catch Aspergers/Autism Early
There was a study conducted with participants younger than age 2 — 62 toddlers to be exact. 51 boys and 11 girls younger than 2 — who met certain criteria — participated in a baseline social and communication skills pretest in which parents and their kids played with toys and read books together while a researcher looked on, and recorded results. Next, the toddlers were assigned either to Hanen’s More Than Words program, or to the control group. The program is supposed to “stimulate” mature communication, language development skills, & social skills.
Anyway, the parents in the Hanen’s More Than Words program were shown how to encourage their kids – through eye contact and modeling simple sentences from the perspective of the child. So, if the child pointed to something, the parent would not cave and simply hand it over. No, the parent would get down at eye-level with the child and say, “I want a cookie.” (in other words, demonstrating the proper way of doing it).
A paper based on the aforementioned study appeared in Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, March issue; “This report adds to our emerging knowledge about which interventions work for which kids. It will help match children with the right intervention and not waste time enrolling them in treatments that are not well-suited for them,” said author Wendy Stone, director of the UW Autism Center.
The norm is that most toddlers, by the age of 2, have latched onto how to interact with others. This is according to Miss Stone.
*Read more about Potential Autism/Aspergers Treatment
A new study indicates that maternal sensitivity may help language development in toddlers with an autism spectrum disorder. You may want to read the full article.
Visual Patterns: Toddlers at Risk Often Show Preference for Geometric Shapes An interesting preference was found in toddlers at risk for autism as early as 14 months of age, according to sciencedaily.com. Using eye-tracking technology scientific researchers found that the very young toddlers were far more interested in geometric shapes than images depicting social behavior, or social interaction in other words.
Geometric Responders: Results of UCSD Study The results of the study suggest that a preference for geometric patterns early in life may be a signature behavior in at-risk toddlers; so parents be aware. Still, not all the toddlers in the study demonstrated this preference – just 40% did, while 60% showed interest in the social pictures.
Help at Hand: Ask an aspergers doctor a question here (97% Approval Rate)
(No commissions are made from the above.) ********************************************************************************************************************** VIDEO: Computers for The Autistic Toddler: Working with The iPad – Features Soundrop app & My Splatter app for kids
Helpful Resources From Healthy Kids Blog
- Home Schooling Requirements: Differences In States
- Home School Ideas: Window to the World?
- Healthy Eating Guide: Eating Out & On The Go – week 01
- Healthy Eating Guide for College Students – week 31
- Peer Conflict: What are Considerations?
- Factors that Contribute to Autism
- Reading Activity For Kindergarten
- Healthy Eating Guide: Eating Tips For Eating on The Go – week 01
- Healthy Eating Guide: Eating Out & On The Go – week 40
- Type 2 Diabetes – Control Glucose!
- Healthy Eating Guide: Eating Tips For Eating on The Go and on Vacation – week 01
- College Packing List – week 31
- Read Widely And Become Better At Homeschooling
- Healthy Eating Guide For Families – week 01
- Homeschooling Becoming A Viable Alternative?
- Healthy Eating Guide For Parents on The Go – Week 31
- Searching For Huggies Coupons
- Healthy Eating Guide For Families – week 52
- Quick Tips for Getting Started in Home Schooling
- Healthy Eating Guide For Parents and Their Kids – week 40
- Healthy Eating Guide For Kids and Teenagers – week 52
- Kids Fun: Halloween Crafts for Toddlers
- Enrolling In Online Home Schooling The Easiest Way
- A Few Tips For New Mothers
- Healthy Eating Guide For Loved Ones – week 07
- Home Schooling: The Advantages And Disadvantages
- Putting Reading First
- Healthy Eating Guide: Eating Tips For Eating on The Go and At Home – week 52
- Ringworm Infections – Treating And Eliminating Ringworm
- What Exactly The Gripe Water For Newborns Is And Just How It Really Works?
- Healthy Habits: 7 Habits of Happy Kids
- Homeschooling Faq: 6 Kinds Of Recordkeeping
- Make A Unique Outfit With Sexy Activewear For Women
- Natural Cures For Insomnia – Eliminating Insomnia Along With Other Sleep Problems Naturally
- Yeast Infection Treatment – Remedy Which Can Be Really Useful To Cure Yeast Infection
- How To Buy The Right Bed
- Healthy Eating Guide For Parents and Their Kids – week 52
- Pros and Cons of Online Schooling
- Are You Ready To Homeschool Your Child Yet?
- Protected: The Benefits Of Home Schooling
- Baby In Sequence – Tips For Women With Child Babies
- Healthy Eating Guide for College Students – week 52
- Metabolic Cooking
- Home Schooling Programs Explained
- Healthy Eating Guide: Eating Healthy During Pregnancy
- Healthy Eating Guide for College Students – week 52
- Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis
- Home Schooling Program: What You Need To Know
- Special Ideas for Vacation: Try this Trick..
- Healthful Eating Benefits – Benefits of Kids Eating Healthy
- How Parents Can Become Excellent Home School Teachers
- Healthy Eating Guide: Eating Tips For Eating on The Go and on Vacation – week 52
- How To Ease Back Pain – 3 Simple Lower Back Pain Natural Home Remedies That Work Like No Bodies Business!
- Protected: Home Schooling: Creative Ways of Developing Reading Skills In Your Child
- Getting Rid Of Tonsil Stones – How To Start Removing Tonsil Stones Today
- Home Schooling the Preschool Children
- Healthy Eating Guide For Students – week 51
- Drug Education And Prevention Strategies
- How To Spot The Signs And Symptoms Of Anxiety Inside Your Child And Enable Them To Be Anxiety Free
- Healthy Eating Guide For Families – week 51
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!